Skip to main content

Mine

Once I was crossing a bustling market and I saw a man selling bubble making machines. He was blowing the bubbles into the street to attract children. He was surrounded by kids, some of whom were awed by the bubbles and others who were jumping to catch them. Then I saw a little boy gleam at a rising bubble. He jumped and caught it in his hands. However, he stopped at that. He kept his hands shut and felt happy to have his bubble. “What are you doing?”, another kid asked him. “I am keeping the bubble safe from people. It is mine and I love it,” he answered proudly and continued to gleam at his closed hands. After a minute or so, he got curious to have a look at his possession. He peeped through the spaces in between his fingers but didn’t seem pleased. Then he separated the two thumbs bit by bit to have a look at his bubble. Eventually, he was staring at his cupped hands but there was no sign of the bubble. He began to cry. The man blowing the bubbles had observed the short incident as well. He looked at the boy and explained, “the bubble burst in your hands. It was meant to rise. It expands on meeting other bubbles.” 

The man continued entertaining the other children with the bubbles leaving the little boy disheartened. The man selling the bubble making machines did not realise that he had just imparted a very useful piece of knowledge. The little boy did not realise that it isn’t only bubbles that need to be freed for them to expand. He did not realise that it isn’t only bubbles that burst when entrapped. The little boy just wailed- “It was mine, I loved it.” 


As I stood contemplating upon the incident, my father came towards me, walking briskly with lines of anger on his face. He yelled, “How many times do I have to tell you not to go around on your own?”. I couldn’t help but smile at the worth of the lesson I had learnt from the short incident I had witnessed. My father’s words were a consequence of not knowing what happens to an entrapped bubble, you consider yours. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Wanted to be a Candle

I wanted to be a candle Bright with a flame Lighting up the face Of the movement. I wanted to be a candle Ablaze inbetween fingers Of a fiery envoy Of justice. I wanted to be a candle Alight all its life The harbinger of light In dark times. I wanted to be a candle I had felt the fire inside But when I looked into a mirror I saw a Matchbox instead. My small colourful self Carries not one but several flames Matchsticks for each occasion For every injustice in the way. My fire is contagious It is the spark before the flame I am meant to light the candles I was born to inspire the change.

What is leaving really like

Once you decide to leave a city You imagine all the final goodbyes And what they’ll feel like Much much before your last day arrives. You make a mental list or a tangible one Of all the places to revisit And the people to meet So many memories to celebrate And moments to regreet. You smile in the distance imagining What those people may say And what you may say in return Almost looking forward to The teary smiles and warm hugs And you wonder whether Those who have wronged you Will come clean and apologise You wipe away a tear when you realise How everyone will wish There was still some more time. But there isn’t. And you struggle to find space For every promised catchup And the new ones who casually said “We must meet before you leave” Some evenings you want to pause Skip dinner and get early to bed But the days are already too brief And you can’t afford any regrets. As the final week draws close You notice the other lasts The last time you cross  The city’s bustling market Or find a s

Will You?

Will you give me the freedom To face the cold alone Yet share your warmth When I reach out to you? When I return shivering Unable to say anything Will you be there for me And wrap yourself around? With my hair scattered And my vision blurred Bare feet on the ground Will you still hold me close? And will you do it Again and again... Like a towel after a winter bath?