Skip to main content

Meant to Fly

My country got freedom in 1947 and soon after it was a struggle for the Indians of that time to acquire the resources to lead a good life. They were hardworking people who wanted to secure the future of their families. The youth of today's India is the 2nd generation after these people. Professions like medicine and engineering are what the youth of my nation compete for, that is where our bright minds go. This is because the post-independence generation believes in mainstream mindsets, the ones that are sure to provide the family with a good life. These professions provide a degree and the degree provides a secure job which further secures the future of the family. The youth of my nation is bound by the chains of the previous generation which stops it from taking risks. The wings that wanted to take flight flap for a while but eventually they are forced to remain on the sides. Those who wish to fly leave the nation and settle elsewhere leading to the famous Indian brain drain. It is an unwanted result for which the blame game may go forever. The previous generation is of the belief that a mainstream lifestyle will probably lead to a mainstream result, one that they are aware of but nobody knows where taking the risk to do something different will take their children and their future generation. The Indian family which is famous for maintaining bonds unintentionally cuts down the wings of their dear ones and those who were meant to fly now walk the streets on the tiny feet that were not meant for long walks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Wanted to be a Candle

I wanted to be a candle Bright with a flame Lighting up the face Of the movement. I wanted to be a candle Ablaze inbetween fingers Of a fiery envoy Of justice. I wanted to be a candle Alight all its life The harbinger of light In dark times. I wanted to be a candle I had felt the fire inside But when I looked into a mirror I saw a Matchbox instead. My small colourful self Carries not one but several flames Matchsticks for each occasion For every injustice in the way. My fire is contagious It is the spark before the flame I am meant to light the candles I was born to inspire the change.

What is leaving really like

Once you decide to leave a city You imagine all the final goodbyes And what they’ll feel like Much much before your last day arrives. You make a mental list or a tangible one Of all the places to revisit And the people to meet So many memories to celebrate And moments to regreet. You smile in the distance imagining What those people may say And what you may say in return Almost looking forward to The teary smiles and warm hugs And you wonder whether Those who have wronged you Will come clean and apologise You wipe away a tear when you realise How everyone will wish There was still some more time. But there isn’t. And you struggle to find space For every promised catchup And the new ones who casually said “We must meet before you leave” Some evenings you want to pause Skip dinner and get early to bed But the days are already too brief And you can’t afford any regrets. As the final week draws close You notice the other lasts The last time you cross  The city’s bustling market Or find a s

Will You?

Will you give me the freedom To face the cold alone Yet share your warmth When I reach out to you? When I return shivering Unable to say anything Will you be there for me And wrap yourself around? With my hair scattered And my vision blurred Bare feet on the ground Will you still hold me close? And will you do it Again and again... Like a towel after a winter bath?